This Chicken Curry tastes just as good as what you’d get at an Indian restaurant, if not better, and it’s easy to make.
The Best Chicken Curry
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed in a small bag with a meat mallet
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup drained canned diced tomatoes or peeled, seeded, diced fresh tomatoes
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tsp water (optional)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together all of the spices in the spice blend, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion and saute until slightly golden brown, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Add in garlic and ginger, saute 30 seconds more then add in spice blend and saute 30 seconds.
- Pour in chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a blender then cover with lid and remove lid insert, cover opening with a clean folded kitchen rag.
- Blend mixture until well pureed and smooth then return to skillet and heat skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season sauce with salt and cayenne pepper (start with about 1/2 tsp salt and a few dashes cayenne then add more to taste) then add in chicken.
- Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low, cover skillet with lid and simmer until chicken has cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 8 – 12 minutes.
- During the last minute of cooking stir in the cornstarch and water slurry if desired, to thicken sauce slightly (or if needed thin with a little chicken broth).
- Stir in cream then serve warm with cilantro over basmati rice.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!