Tan France of Queer Eye is back in the kitchen and today he’s sharing tips on how to avoid burning spices while making his mom’s-take chicken & mushroom curry recipe (aka heaven in a bowl).
Tan France’s Chicken and Mushroom Curry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin), toasted
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 handfuls button mushrooms, sliced
- To serve:
- Brown Rice, chapati or naan
- Add vegetable oil to a large nonstick pot over high heat. Finely chop onions and cook them in the oil until they become dark brown in color. Add water as you go, if the onions start to burn or stick.
- Add all spices and 1 cup of water. Simmer for 10 minutes. If spices start to stick, add water incrementally and scrape.
- Cut chicken breasts into thumb-size pieces and remove all fat. Add to saucepan with onion and spice mixture and cook on high for 15 minutes. Stir continuously, without breaking up the chicken, making sure nothing sticks to the pan. Continue adding water incrementally if things start to stick.
- Reduce heat and add 2 cups of water. Cook for at least 15 minutes with the lid on, removing the lid occasionally to stir.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook on medium-high heat, for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, and methi. Serve with brown rice, chapati or naan.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!