- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 400g pork and fennel sausages, casings removed
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 baby fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 litre (4 cups) Campbell’s Italian soup base
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 small bunch Tuscan kale, leaves thinly sliced
- Parmesan toast, to serve (optional)
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage meat and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 6 minutes or until browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
Heat remaining oil in pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, fennel, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until softened. Add the soup base and water. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes.
Add the lentils and sausage meat. Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes or until warmed through. Add the kale and simmer, covered, for 2 minutes or until just wilted. Serve with parmesan toast, if using.