- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 1 halved brown onion
- Pinch of salt
- 200g chicken breast
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 50g roasted capsicum, sliced (not in oil)
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 75g spinach, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons natural almonds, chopped
Place water, brown onion, black peppercorns and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat.
Add chicken and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave the chicken, covered, in the poaching liquid for 30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside to cool slightly. Discard the liquid. Shred the chicken.
Combine the chicken, lentils, celery, capsicum, fresh chives and shredded spinach in a large bowl. Whisk mustard, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl. Add to the salad and toss to combine. Sprinkle with almonds.