Use juicy ripe plums in this trifle dessert for best results. The crumbled shortbread cookies add crunch, while the whipping cream gives the dish a creamy texture.
- 1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 firm-ripe plums (1 lb. total), sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 sugar or shortbread cookies (5 1/2 oz. total) such as Pepperidge Farm, broken in pieces
How to Make It
In a 3- to 4-qt. pan over high heat, boil wine, orange juice, 1/2 cup sugar, and the cardamom, stirring often, until reduced to 2/3 cup, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in plums, and let stand 10 minutes, stirring often. Meanwhile, whip cream with the remaining 2 tbsp. sugar until thick.
With a slotted spoon, lift 3 or 4 plum slices to each of 4 small bowls. Top each with 1 broken cookie, then a spoonful of cream. Repeat layers 2 more times. Serve trifles with syrup and any remaining fruit.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving