- 75g butter, softened
- 1/3 cup (70g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup (80g) almond meal
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 pink lady apple, thinly sliced crossways
- 2 corella pears, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 egg, lightly whisked, extra
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds
- Thickened cream or mascarpone, to serve
- 125g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (60g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon iced water
To make the pastry, place butter, flour and icing sugar in a food processor; process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and water; process until mixture comes together. Turn onto floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 200°C. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add egg and beat until just combined. Add almond meal, flour, cinnamon and brandy and stir until just combined.
Roll the pastry out on a large piece of baking paper to a 35cm disc. Spread almond mixture over the pastry, leaving a 3cm border. Arrange apple and pear over almond mixture. Fold pastry edge in, pleating as you go. Brush pastry with a little extra egg. Sprinkle sugar evenly over pastry, apple and pears. Sprinkle with flaked almonds. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apple and pear caramelise. Remove from oven.
Cut into wedges to serve. Serve with cream or mascarpone, if desired.