Oven Fried Korean Popcorn Chicken, a slightly healthier, much easier, take on Korean style fried chicken. Inspired by the food carts found on the streets in Seoul. Breaded in corn flakes, oven baked, and finished with an addicting sweet and spicy Korean inspired BBQ sauce. This chicken is sure to be loved by all. Serve with steamed rice and a plate full of stir fried veggies for an easy dinner that’s different, delicious, colorful, and full of flavor.
Oven Fried Korean Popcorn Chicken
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups finely crushed corn flakes
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
Korean BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons Gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- green onions, chopped, for serving
- Add the chicken to a gallon size zip top bag. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken. Toss well to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Add the corn flake crumbs, flour, and a pinch of pepper to a medium sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been used. Make sure not to crowd your pan, if necessary use two baking sheets. Lightly brush the chicken with olive oil. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the Korean BBQ Sauce. In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, honey, Gochujang (Korean chili paste), rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly into more of a glaze. Remove from the heat.
- Brush or drizzle the chicken generously with Korean BBQ Sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve warm Enjoy!