Filled with spice-rubbed chicken breast and brown rice, this hearty casserole casserole is a healthier take on Tex-Mex.
One Skillet Taco Chicken & Rice
Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 0 hours 5 mins
Total Time: 0 hours 20 mins
- 1 1/2 c. brown rice
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/3 c. chopped onion
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 (7.5-oz) can no-salt black beans, drained
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, diced (OR 1 can diced tomatoes)
- 2 c. red enchilada sauce
- 1 c. water
- 3/4 c. shredded cheese (such as Mexican cheese: blend of cheddar, Monterey Jack, and asadero)
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Avocado, sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook rice according to instructions and set aside to cool.
- Season chicken breast with smoked paprika, cumin, and dried oregano.
- Set a deep (nonstick) skillet on medium heat, and once hot, add olive oil, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the outside of the onion has slightly browned.
- Add chicken breast and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked brown rice, then stir in the black beans, tomato, enchilada sauce, and water. Mix everything together and bring to a light simmer. Reduce the heat to low-medium, then cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the top, stir up the chicken and rice and season to taste with sea salt & pepper. Sprinkle on some cheese (if desired), then bake for 5 to 7 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and avocado, then enjoy!