Filled with spice-rubbed chicken breast and brown rice, this hearty casserole casserole is a healthier take on Tex-Mex.
One Skillet Taco Chicken & Rice
Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 0 hours 5 mins
Total Time: 0 hours 20 mins
- 1 1/2 c. brown rice
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1/3 c. chopped onion
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 (7.5-oz) can no-salt black beans, drained
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, diced (OR 1 can diced tomatoes)
- 2 c. red enchilada sauce
- 1 c. water
- 3/4 c. shredded cheese (such as Mexican cheese: blend of cheddar, Monterey Jack, and asadero)
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Avocado, sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook rice according to instructions and set aside to cool.
- Season chicken breast with smoked paprika, cumin, and dried oregano.
- Set a deep (nonstick) skillet on medium heat, and once hot, add olive oil, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the outside of the onion has slightly browned.
- Add chicken breast and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked brown rice, then stir in the black beans, tomato, enchilada sauce, and water. Mix everything together and bring to a light simmer. Reduce the heat to low-medium, then cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the top, stir up the chicken and rice and season to taste with sea salt & pepper. Sprinkle on some cheese (if desired), then bake for 5 to 7 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and avocado, then enjoy!
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!