- 3 bacon rashers, rind removed, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 desiree potato, peeled, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1L (4 cups) Massel beef style liquid stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 80g (1 cup) small shell pasta
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
Place the bacon, carrots, celery and potato in a large saucepan and stir to combine. Cook over high heat, uncovered, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, beef stock, tomatoes and red kidney beans to the pan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. (To freeze the soup, see note).
Increase heat to high. Add pasta and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, following packet directions or until pasta is al dente. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.