Fried chicken with a Keralan twist!
Keralan Fried Chicken
- 4 chicken pieces, drumsticks/thighs are best, skinless
- 200ml coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2” fresh ginger root
- 2 birds eye green chillies
- 4 stems fresh coriander, washed
- 2 stems curry leaves, de-stemmed, washed
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 100g plain flour
- 100g coconut flour (If you don’t have this, just use 200g plain flour)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder (optional)
- 6 stems curry leaves, washed, dried and de-stemmedfor garnishing
- In a blender, blitz coconut milk, garlic, ginger, chillies,
- coriander and curry leaves and empty into a bowl.
- Add the chicken along with salt, garam masala,
- coriander powder, paprika and turmeric. Cover &
- refrigerate for as long as possible (ideally 24 hrs) but
- at least a couple of hours.
- Place the plain flour, coconut flour, salt, chili flakes and
- nutmeg powder in a shallow bowl and combine.
- Allow the chicken to come to room temerature before
- cooking. Now shake off any excess coconut milk
- marinade from the chicken and dredge each piece in
- the flour and evenly coat. Next place the chicken pieces
- back in the coconut milk, shake off any excess and
- dredge in the flour once again.
- Carefully place into a medium pan of oil at 180C. Repeat
- with the next piece. Cook 2 pieces at a time to keep the
- temperature from falling.
- Cook for 5-6 mins, turning half way through. Cook until
- golden brown and cooked throughout. You can also
- use a thermometer probe to check the internal temp.
- which should be 75C. Drain on a wire rack.
- Place the curry leaves into the oil, they may splatter so
- be careful. Fry for 10 sec then drain on kitchen paper.
- Allow to cool, then crush curry leaves and sprinkle over
- chicken. Serve with your favourite Indian chutney.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!