- 1 (550g) bunch young rhubarb
- 240g (1 1/2 cups) icing sugar
- 50g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 125g ground hazelnuts
- 185g unsalted butter, melted
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 40g caster sugar
- 60g plain flour
- 40g unsalted butter, softened
- 60g sliced almonds
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
For topping, combine sugar and flour in a bowl, then rub in butter until mixture forms clumps. Rub through almonds and orange zest until evenly combined.
Trim leaves and ends from rhubarb and discard, then cut into 2cm lengths and weigh the rhubarb; you will need 325g.
Preheat oven to 190C. Grease a 24cm square cake tin and line with baking paper. Push sugar, flour, cinnamon and hazelnuts through a coarse sieve over a bowl, then stir in butter and egg whites until just combined. Spoon into tin, scatter with half the crumb topping, then rhubarb, then remaining topping. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 40 minutes or until firm. Cool in tin for 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.