- Melted butter, to grease
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 155g (3/4 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- Double cream, to serve
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 25g unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush four 250ml (1-cup) capacity muffin pans with melted butter to lightly grease.
Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and ginger in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and golden syrup. Beat until combined. Fold in the flour and milk, in batches, until combined. Divide among the prepared pans.
Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Set aside in the pans for 5 minutes to cool before turning onto serving plates.
Meanwhile, to make the butterscotch sauce, combine the sugar, cream and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
Pour the sauce over the puddings. Serve with double cream.