Skip the takeout and make this delicious General Tso’s Chicken at home! You’ll fall in love with the sweet and spicy General Tso sauce poured over the crispy, juicy chicken. This is truly a restaurant-style recipe!
General Tso’s Chicken
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
For the Chicken:
- 1 1/4 pound chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs (whisked)
General Tso Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar (distilled vinegar will work too)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1-2 teaspoons sriracha hot sauce (can sub with 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes)
- For serving: Cooked rice and broccoli and/or carrots
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- Place the chicken, corn starch, salt, pepper and garlic salt in a large ziplock bag and shake until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and place in the frying pan with a fork. Fry both sides of the chicken for about 2 minutes each and the move chicken to the baking sheet.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Next, pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is crispy. Stir halfway.
- Serve with steamed rice and vegetables. Enjoy!