Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Servings: 3 servings
- 2 large white onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1 14 oz can beef broth
- 3-4 chicken breasts, pounded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3-4 slices deli-style provolone cheese (depending on how many chicken breasts)
- 3-4 slices deli-style swiss cheese (depending on how many chicken breasts)
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Melt butter in an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and stir while cooking, for about 15 minutes until softened
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme. Cook chicken in skillet for about 5 minutes on each side. Move chicken to a plate and cover with a paper towel.
- Return onions to skillet and sprinkle with flour. Stir and cook for about 1 minute before pouring in beef broth. Whisk until thickened
- Add chicken back to skillet and spoon sauce over the chicken.
- Top with one slice of provolone and one slice of swiss for each breast
- Move to oven and bake until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon more of the sauce over the chicken. Top with parsley and serve hot.