Flamin’ Hot Cheetos are great. Fried chicken is great. Together, they make something even greater.
Hot Cheetos Fried Chicken
PREP: 15 Min
- 3 pounds chicken, a variety drumsticks, thighs and bone-in breasts
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup pickle brine
- 1 head garlic, smashed
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt, separated
- 2-3 turns with a pepper grinder
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups Flamin’ Hot Cheetos
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cayenne
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 6-8 cups peanut or canola oil, for frying
- Mix buttermilk, pickle brine, smashed head of garlic and 3 tablespoons kosher salt in a large bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and let chicken brine in the fridge for at least 2-4 hours to overnight. Remove chicken from fridge, and as it comes to room temperature prepare your coating.
- Place Hot Cheetos into a food processor and pulse until there are no large bits left. Mix together the flour, Hot Cheeto dust, 3 tablespoons kosher salt, paprika, cayenne and garlic powder.
- Heat your oil in a heavy-bottomed (preferably cast-iron) pan with high sides. Place a thermometer on the side of your pan so you can keep the oil temperature around 350°F. When your oil is heated, take the chicken piece by piece from the brine and dredge it in the flour mixture. Fry each piece until golden brown, usually between 6-12 minutes per side, depending on the size of the chicken pieces, taking care not to crowd the pan while frying. Let cool on a wire rack.
Buttermilk Herb Dipping Sauce
PREP: 10 Min
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 11/2 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pickle brine
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together all ingredients. Season with more salt, pepper or garlic to your taste. Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!