A recipe for the best baked chicken wings that are extra crispy on the outside and very tender and most on the inside.
Extra Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 lbs chicken wings (tips removed, separated into wingettes and drumettes)
- 1 Tbsp BAKING POWDER (whatever you do, do NOT use baking soda)
- 1 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup hot wing sauce (e.g. Duff’s hot sauce)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Dry chicken with a paper towel really well. Place the wings in a large bowl. Sprinkle baking powder over the wings. Toss until all wings are evenly covered in baking powder. Better yet, mix by hand to ensure even coverage.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a cooling rack (see note) on top and spray with Pam or rub with cooking oil to prevent sticking.
- Lay the chicken wings on the rack, leaving space between the wings.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven. Turn the heat down to 425F and set the mode to convection.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the wings are nicely browned and crisp.
- Let the wings rest for 5 minutes. This will preserve crispiness of the skin.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Buffalo wing sauce by combining the butter and the hot wing sauce in a small bowl.
- Season the wings with salt and whatever other seasonings you like. Toss with the Buffalo sauce or serve with the sauce on the side.