When we’re craving something hearty and healthy, this chicken chili immediately jumps to mind. The white beans make it SO much more satisfying than chicken noodle soup, the green chilis and jalapeño add just the right amount of spice, and the sour cream adds a tangy creaminess that half-and-half could never bring. And considering the whole things comes together in less than an hour, it’s a total weeknight dinner winner.
Easy White Bean Chicken Chili
Yields: 6 – 8 servings
Prep Time: 0 hours 10 mins
Total Time: 0 hours 40 mins
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 (4.5 oz.) cans green chilies
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thirds
- 5 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 c. frozen corn
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1/4 c. shredded Monterey Jack
- 1/4 c. crushed tortilla chips
- In a large pot, over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and jalapeño and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and cumin and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add green chilis, chicken, and broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 to 12 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and shred with two forks. Return to pot and add white beans and corn. Bring to a simmer and let cook, 10 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in sour cream.
- Ladle chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro, cheese, and chips before serving.