A delicious, hearty, and healthy sweet potato stew made in the crockpot (slow cooker). This stew is packed with sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, corn, tomatoes, beef, and plenty of seasoning!
Crockpot Sweet Potato Stew
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 8 hrs
Total Time: 8 hrs 25 mins
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- 3 cups (~2 potatoes) medium-sized sweet potatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 small yellow onion
- 8 ounce bag mini carrots
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn, I use fire-roasted (or use frozen sweet corn or cut it off the cob!)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, I use fire-roasted
- 1 pound beef chuck roast, cut into cut into 1/2-inch chunks (can use pre-cut stew meat for super quick prep)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each seasoned salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 beef boullion cubes
- 1 cup water
- Optional: fresh flat leaf parsley
- Grease a slow cooker with non-stick spray. I use a 6-quart crockpot.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks. Measure to get a heaping 3 cups and place in the prepared slow cooker.
- Add in the chopped celery, chopped onion, the bag of carrots, drained can of corn (I buy corn that is fire-roasted and it adds so much flavor! It’s right by regular canned corn in the grocery store) and undrained can of diced tomatoes.
- Toss together the flour, seasoned salt, and pepper. Toss the cut meat (cut in 1 inch cubes if not pre-cut) in the flour mixture until well coated.
- Place the coated meat in the slow cooker on top of all the vegetables. You do not need to pre-cook the meat at all.
- Add in the bay leaf, minced garlic, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, and fresh parsley. (I coarsely chop parsley and pack it in a tablespoon to get that measurement.)
- Crumble in the boullion cubes and the water.
- Stir everything together and try to submerge the meat below the veggies to keep it as tender as possible. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or high for 5-7 hours or until the sweet potatoes and vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked through and tender. All slow cookers cook at different temperatures. Mine takes about 8 hours on low and I don’t typically cook stews on high because I find them to be more flavorful (meat more tender) after slow cooking all day! If you are home, occasionally stir the stew throughout the day.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaf.
- Stir the ingredients together and slightly mash the tender sweet potatoes in the crockpot. This gives it a chunkier and thicker stew consistency and it’s delicious!
- If desired top with some fresh parsley and enjoy!
Did you find this post useful? Want to get back to this page later? Save THIS PIN below to your Recipes board on Pinterest!