This might just be our favorite chicken enchilada recipe. It’s so easy—you need just seven ingredients—and the unexpected addition of cream cheese makes for a rich, creamy white sauce that can’t be beat. And of course, it’s finished with a bunch of ooey, gooey cheese. With only 25 minutes of prep time, these quick creamy chicken enchiladas will be your new favorite way to prepare and eat enchiladas.
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed, softened
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 package (11 oz) Old El Paso™ flour tortillas for burritos (8 burritos)
- 1 package (8 oz) shredded Mexican cheese blend (2 cups)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour with whisk until blended. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in broth; heat to simmering over high heat. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Beat in cream cheese with whisk until sauce is smooth and free of lumps. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce evenly in bottom of baking dish.
- Place 1/4 cup chicken in line down center of each tortilla; top each with 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Wrap tortillas tightly around filling. Place seam side down in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over filled tortillas. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese evenly over top.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and center of tortillas is hot (at least 165°F in center).