- Melted butter, to grease
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150g (2/3 cup) white medium-grain rice
- 30g butter, extra
- 4 medium pears, peeled, cored, thickly sliced
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons thin cream
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve,if desired
Preheat oven to 160°C. Brush a round 1.5L (6 cup) capacity ovenproof dish with melted butter to lightly grease.
Combine the milk, cream, egg, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and rice in a bowl, and stir to combine. Pour into prepared dish. Bake in oven for 1 1/2 hours or until just set. Remove from oven.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the pears and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add the sugar and thin cream and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
Spoon rice pudding among bowls and top with pears. Serve