Made with boneless chicken pieces this Chicken Fried Chicken With Peppered Milk Gravy is country comfort food done right.
Chicken Fried Chicken with Peppered Milk Gravy
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
Servings: 6 pieces
- 6 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup crushed saltine crackers crumbs or panko breadcrumbs
- 1½ tsp seasoned salt
- 1½ tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp pan drippings
- 1 tsp ground black pepper divided (Adjust to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 14 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk plus additional as needed to thin
- Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts to about 1/2-inch in uniform thickness. Season on both sides with seasoned salt and black pepper.
- Sift together the flour, cracker crumbs, 1½ tsp seasoned salt, 1½ tsp onion powder, 1½ tsp garlic powder and smoked paprika. Set aside.
- Whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the seasoned flour, then into the egg wash, then back into the seasoned flour. Shake off any excess.
- Place onto a baking pan in a single layer. Refrigerate uncovered for 15 minutes or up to 1 hour to allow the breading to set.
- To prepare: Preheat the oven to 350°F and fit a baking rack into a rimmed baking pan.
- Heat 1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil in a large 12-inch cast iron skillet or similar.
- Brown the chicken about 2 minutes per side. Repeat frying in batches with all 6 pieces.
- Place browned chicken onto the rack and into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile to make the gravy: Discard all but 4 Tbsp of the drippings.
- Add the flour to the drippings stirring constantly over medium high heat scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. .Add the salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper.
- Gradually add the evaporated and regular milk whisking constantly. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and allow the gravy to gently simmer for 3-5 minutes. Taste and adjust the salt to your taste. Thin further with additional milk, if needed.
- Serve the milk gravy drizzled over the chicken fried chicken and garnish with remaining black pepper.(Adjust the amount to your taste)