This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole includes Campbell’s Soup, flavorful rice cooked in chicken broth, and a buttery, crunchy Ritz topping. Cook up some fresh chicken or use Rotisserie!
Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, or 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 1/4 cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, uncooked
- 10.75 oz. Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Note: These instructions were updated on 1/26/20 to include an improved cooking method that allows you to cook and assemble this casserole in a single pot before transferring to a casserole dish. (Quicker, easier, less dirty dishes.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat until melted. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Note: This step is not needed if using a cooked rotisserie chicken.
- Add the chicken broth and rice to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover tightly for 7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and use a silicone spatula to give it a stir and loosen it from the bottom. Add the broccoli florets and replace the lid. Cook for more 8 minutes.
- Stir the rice/broccoli and turn the heat off. Add the cooked chicken, soup, milk, sour cream, half of the cheddar cheese, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish and pour in the rice mixture.
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
Add the Topping:
- Melt the butter and crumble up the crackers. Combine to form the topping for the casserole.
- Top the casserole with the crumbled cracker topping and bake uncovered for 10 additional minutes.
- Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes prior to serving.