- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat buttermilk
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 4.5 ounces whole-wheat pastry flour (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
- 10 ounce chopped pitted fresh sweet cherries (about 2 cups)
- Baking spray with flour
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
To prepare streusel, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add oil and 2 teaspoons buttermilk; stir to combine. Set aside.
To prepare cake, weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flours, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat 1 minute or until combined. Beat in rind and almond extract. Add flour mixture and 1/2 cup buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in cherries.
Pour batter into a 9-inch springform pan coated with baking spray; sprinkle with streusel. Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, rotating pan from front to back after 25 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.