- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup sour cream, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (20-ounce) package refrigerated shredded hash browns
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Garnish: chopped green onions
How to Make It
Combine 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1 egg in a large bowl, stirring to combine. Stir in hash browns.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; spread hash brown mixture into pan, and cook 7 minutes or until browned on one side.
Drizzle hash brown mixture with remaining 2 tablespoons oil; flip with a spatula, and cook 7 more minutes or until browned on the second side. Spoon evenly into the bottom of a lightly greased 3-quart baking dish. Add pancetta to skillet over medium-high heat; cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
Add red bell pepper and remaining 1 cup onion; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Whisk together milk, 5 eggs, remaining 1/2 cup cheese, remaining 1/2 cup sour cream, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl.
Stir pancetta mixture into egg mixture, and pour over hash browns. Cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, covered, 50 minutes or until top is browned and eggs are set. Garnish, if desired.