Zucchini makes a brilliant addition to carrot cake, adding a verdant note to the sweet carrot.
- 9 ounces white whole-wheat flour (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup drained canned crushed pineapple in juice
- Cooking spray
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Combine sugars, oil, and eggs in a separate bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir carrot, zucchini, and pineapple into sugar mixture. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; stir until moistened. Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 33 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack.
Combine cream cheese and butter in a bowl; beat with a mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar; beat just until smooth. Spread evenly over top of cake. Sprinkle with coconut flakes. Cut into 16 pieces.