This Indian Butter Chicken is a great low carb choice and delicious main dish.
Butter Chicken (Low Carb, Keto)
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Marinate: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chunked into one inch pieces
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion medium
- 1/2 Tbs ginger paste or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 cup tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- In a gallon sized zip top bag, add all ingredients for chicken Squeeze the bag to mix it all together and coat the chicken. Refrigerate for 2 hours minimum.
- Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add onions to the skillet, cook until softened and starting to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
- Then add the chicken (with the marinade) to the same skillet, and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger, and pureed tomatoes.
- Turn temperature to low, put lid on, let simmer 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced and thicker.
- Stir the heavy whipping cream into the sauce.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, if desired.