- 700g beef skirt steak (see note)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced diagonally
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 1 large stalk lemongrass (white part only), very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons shao hsing (Chinese cooking wine)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Make Marinade: Combine lemongrass, coriander, garlic, lime juice, chilli, soy sauce, shao hsing, sugar and pepper in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add steak. Turn to coat. Cover. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, if time permits.
Remove steak from fridge. Stand for 30 minutes.
Brush a barbecue grill or chargill pan with oil. Heat on high heat until just starting to smoke. Cook steak for 1 minute 30 seconds each side for rare, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
Cut steak across the grain into thin slices. Serve with tomato, cucumber, rice, lime wedges and extra coriander.