- Melted butter, to grease
- 1 x layer bought 17cm-diameter unfilled sponge cake, halved horizontally
- 70g (1/3 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 ripe bananas
- 50g (1/4 cup) finely chopped pitted dried dates
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, extra
- 80ml (1/3 cup) reduced-fat thickened cream
Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush the base and side of an 18cm (base measurement/22cm inside top measurement) pie plate with the melted butter to lightly grease.
Place half the sponge layer between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper and use a rolling pin to roll until flattened. (Use remaining sponge half for another dessert, such as trifle.) Place rolled sponge cake in the base of the greased pie plate. Place plate on a baking tray.
Use a balloon whisk to whisk together sugar, egg and egg whites in a medium bowl until combined. Gradually whisk in milk and vanilla essence until well combined.
Peel bananas and cut diagonally into 3mm-thick slices. Arrange the slices, slightly overlapping, over sponge base. Sprinkle evenly with dates. Pour the egg mixture over banana and dates.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the extra sugar and bake for a further 10 minutes or until a round-bladed knife comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the tart. Remove from oven and serve warm or set aside until cooled to room temperature. Cut into wedges and serve drizzled with cream.