- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 bunches (about 800g) rhubarb, trimmed, washed, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 3 (about 550g) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
- 35g (1/4 cup) custard powder
- 160ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 25g (1/4 cup) flaked almonds
- Icing sugar mixture, to dust
- Double cream, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 2L (8-cup) capacity ovenproof baking dish with butter to lightly grease.
Place rhubarb, apple, lemon juice and 55g (1/4 cup) of the sugar in prepared dish and stir to combine. Cover with foil. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, use an electric beater to beat the butter and remaining sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add flour, custard powder, milk, eggs and vanilla, and beat until just combined. Spoon over fruit. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Dust pudding with icing sugar and serve with cream.