- 60g Italian amaretti biscuits, crushed
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 75g dried figs, tops trimmed, finely chopped
- 75g natural almonds, roasted, finely chopped
- 10 figs, halved
- 40g baby dried figs (see note), tops trimmed, halved
- 8 fresh small bay leaves
SOUR CREAM PASTRY
- 250g (1 2/3 cups) plain flour
- 60g icing sugar, plus extra, to dust
- 200g chilled unsalted butter, finely chopped
- 80g (1/3 cup) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1For sour cream pastry, process flour, icing sugar, butter and a pinch of salt in a food processor until mixture resembles crumbs. Add sour cream and vanilla and, using the pulse button, process until mixture forms large clumps. Tip onto a work surface and press pastry together to form a flat rectangle, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. Combine biscuits, zest, flour, chopped dried figs and almonds in a bowl.
Step 2Preheat oven to 200ËšC.
Step 3Roll out pastry on a piece of baking paper with a floured rolling pin to 21cm x 45cm, then trim edges straight. Carefully lift pastry on baking paper onto a large oven tray. Scatter biscuit mixture over pastry, leaving a 3cm border, then arrange fresh and baby dried figs over the mixture. Carefully fold in the long sides of the pastry, followed by the short ends, using the paper to help you, then tuck bay leaves in among figs. Bake for 30â€“35 minutes or until top and base of pastry are golden.
Step 4Cool galette for 10 minutes, then dust with extra icing sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.